- The second house viewing is your opportunity to analyse, investigate and ask important questions.
- Schedule it for a different time from the previous viewing, so you can see what the house is like at different times of day.
- Use the second viewing as an opportunity to inspect the inner workings of the home, such as plumbing, electricity, fixtures and fittings.
First impressions can be powerful, and it’s easy to fall into the trap of committing yourself to buying a home after only one viewing.
That’s why it’s important to book a second viewing, which is your opportunity to examine the property with your head rather than your heart.
Second house viewing: Analyse, investigate, and ask questions
Here are some tips for a second house viewing that will ensure you get the most out of it.
1. Book your viewing for a different time
If your previous viewing was in the evening, book your next one for morning or early afternoon, and vice versa. You want to see what the home is like at different times of the day. For example, if you’re hoping for a quiet neighbourhood, investigating the house after working hours will give you an idea of how noisy things get when the kids in the neighbourhood get home from school.
Of course, you also want to see how light affects the interior of the home.
2. Check out the neighbourhood
Use your second viewing as an opportunity to wander around the neighbourhood and get an idea of how safe it feels; how dark is it during the night; how conveniently located it is; if there are any transport points nearby; and so on.
3. Bring someone along
A fresh pair of eyes can really help. Bring someone along who will be more objective. They will be able to draw attention to things you might have missed. Make sure it’s someone who has no problem with speaking their mind.
4. Check fittings and fixtures
This is your chance to take a closer look at the inner workings of the home. This includes everything from the quality of doorknobs to the state of plumbing. Pay special attention to the following:
- Check the condition of the geyser. Ask if it has been serviced recently. A burst geyser can cause a lot of damage to your home.
- Check the shower. Is it a proper shower, or a hand shower over a bathtub? Check the water pressure.
- Check for damp (look out for mould, or a musky smell).
- Check the drains.
- Check the number of electrical sockets and if they’re conveniently located. Having more installed will add to your additional expenses.
- Check the lights.
- Check the kitchen appliances that are fixtures, and make sure they all work correctly.
- Check internet quality and mobile phone reception.
- Make sure that windows open and close easily, and that windows and doors have locks fitted on them.
- Check the garden.
- Check the roof and roof tiling.
Basically, you’re using your second viewing as an opportunity to really examine fixtures and fittings across the entire house; whether it be the bathroom, living room, kitchen or outdoor area.
5. Ask questions
This is your opportunity to ask the estate agent or owner questions you may not have gotten around to the first time. For example:
- How long has the property been on the market? If the owner has struggled to sell it then you have to question why.
- Compare its cost to the prices of other properties in the area.
Going through with a purchase
Make sure you’re satisfied that a home suits your requirements before you go ahead with the purchase. Bear in mind that as you start looking for a home, that ooba Home Loans offers a range of tools that can make the home buying promise easier. Start with their Bond Calculator, then use the ooba Home Loans Bond Indicator to determine what you can afford. Finally, when you’re ready, you can apply for a home loan.
Can't find what you are looking for?
Ranked #1 in Banking on Hellopeter
Average rating of 4.86 from over 4 550 reviews
Simply The Best
Ooba home loans services are simply the best. My Consultant Bianca Dancer was so hands on and helpful from the get go. She guided me through the entire process and put me at ease being a first time buyer. I highly recommend their services.
Jay Govender and Maleshini Reddy from OOBA provided outstanding assistance and guidance in securing our home loan. Response times were excellent and they were professional and friendly.
Estelle Vorster was really helpful in securing the best deal for my home loan, she not only negotiated a lower interest rate she went as far as securing 50% discount on the transfer costs.