- Affordability, property resale potential and rental values, and transport costs are all affected by a home’s placement in a school catchment area.
- Research shows that the quality of schools is a more important factor in the house buying decision than convenience to shopping, family or friends.
- House-hunting families should avail themselves of the numerous tools available for finding the best schools in South Africa.
For families with school-going children, it is becoming increasingly important to do your homework before choosing a suburb in which to buy your new home.
Aside from the convenience of being near a good school, is how it benefits the value of your property. According to Tinney-Crook, a property close to a good school can boost its value by as much as 40%.
The post-pandemic work-from-home lifestyle, and consequently the demand for bigger houses in more remote areas, is a factor to take into account. It makes good schools in outlying suburbs even more of an asset than before.
The best schools in South Africa: Where to look
We focus on the three focal points of the South African property market (Western Cape, Gauteng, KwaZulu Natal) in our search for highly rated schools.
The best schools in the Western Cape
- Rondebosch Boys High School in Rondebosch.
- Edgemead High in Edgemead.
- Hoer Jongen Paarl Boys High School in Paarl.
- Milnerton High School in Milnerton.
- Camps Bay High School in Camps Bay.
- St Cyprians in Oranjezicht.
- Westerford High School in Rondebosch.
- Bishops in Rondebosch.
- Micklefield School in Rondebosch.
- Bishops in Rondebosch.
- Hout Bay International School in Hout Bay.
- American International School of Cape Town in Bergvliet.
- Rondebosch Boys’ Preparatory School in Rondebosch.
- The Grove Primary School in Claremont.
- Bergvliet Primary School in Bergvliet.
The best schools in Gauteng
- Barnato Park High School in Berea.
- St Peter’s Girls School in Sandton.
- Spring Boys High School in Selcourt.
- Willowridge High School in Pretoria.
- Germiston High School in Germiston.
- Athlone Boys’ High School in Bezuidenhout Valley.
- Parkview Senior Primary School in Randburg.
- Rosebank Primary School in Rosebank.
- Bryanston Primary School in Bryanston.
- Saxonwold Primary School in Randburg.
- Parkhurst Primary School in Parkhurst.
- Bedfordview Primary School in Germiston.
The best schools in KwaZulu-Natal
- Michaelhouse School in Balgowan valley.
- Eden College in Glenwood.
- Clifton School in Morningside.
- Crawford College in La Lucia.
- St. Henry’s Marist College in Westville.
- Durban Girls’ High School in Glenwood.
- Westville Girls’ High School in Westville.
- Chelsea Preparatory School in Durban North.
- St James Durban in Greyville.
- Glenwood Preparatory School in Glenwood.
- Durban Primary High School in Windermere.
- Rosehill Primary School in Durban North.
- Star Primary School in Westville.
More resources for finding the best schools
The National Senior Certificate School performance report, which is published every year by the Department of Basic Education, is one of the most useful tools for house-hunting families.
For those who want to give their children a private education, the SA Private Schools website is an excellent resource.
Aside from using online resources for finding the best performing schools in South Africa, prospective homebuyers should make sure their estate agents are familiar with the areas in which they want to live, including information on the best schools.
Making a school decision first is really a good way to approach your new home purchase. Research shows that the quality of the schools is a more important factor in buying decisions than proximity to shopping, or even family and friends. So it will make it easier to re-sell your home when it’s time to move on.
Once you’ve found the home that meets these requirements, ooba Home Loans can help you secure the best deal on your home loan by submitting your application to multiple banks.
We also offer a range of tools that can make the home buying process easier. Start with our Bond Calculator, then use our Bond Indicator to determine what you can afford. Finally, when you’re ready, you can apply for a home loan.
Can't find what you are looking for?
Ranked #1 in Banking on Hellopeter
Average rating of 4.86 from over 4 550 reviews
Simply The Best
Ooba home loans services are simply the best. My Consultant Bianca Dancer was so hands on and helpful from the get go. She guided me through the entire process and put me at ease being a first time buyer. I highly recommend their services.
Jay Govender and Maleshini Reddy from OOBA provided outstanding assistance and guidance in securing our home loan. Response times were excellent and they were professional and friendly.
Estelle Vorster was really helpful in securing the best deal for my home loan, she not only negotiated a lower interest rate she went as far as securing 50% discount on the transfer costs.