- Landscaping can boost the value of a property without requiring significant financial outlay, but it needs to be utilised effectively.
- Pleasant outdoor spaces are especially desirable in the pandemic era, as many people are spending more time at home than they are accustomed to.
- Certain landscaping features, such as a swimming pool, may add maintenance cost that outweighs the increase in property value.
One of the challenges of property investment is finding cost-efficient ways to add value to a property. As it turns out, landscaping is one of the most effective ways to achieve that, and it doesn’t even require you to touch the house itself.
Just to demonstrate how effective landscaping can be, a Clemson University study found that even a small increase in the quality of a property’s landscaping can increase its value by about 7%.
5 Reasons to invest in landscaping
1. It makes a good first impression on home viewers
If the garden is at the front of the home, naturally it;s going to be the first thing people see during a home viewing. Investing in quality landscaping ensures the property will make a powerful first impression, especially if you add soothing features, like a duck pond or fountain.
2. It’s even more desirable in the era of the pandemic
Many people continue to work from home in the wake of the Covid lockdowns, and many more find themselves having to spend more time at home than they’re accustomed to. In this age, a pleasant outdoor space has become a necessity for home owners, if they’re to avoid the claustrophobia that can result from spending too much time indoors.
So, if landscaping didn’t already significantly improve the value of a property before, it certainly will do so now.
3. It will increase your enjoyment of the property
Aside from the financial benefits, an improved garden will immediately add to the personal value that you derive from the property. In fact, few things can so significantly improve your experience of a property as an appealing outdoor space, especially with some vibrant flower beds thrown in to lift your mood.
4. Health benefits
An outdoor space with plant life improves the air quality of the property, making it a healthier place to live. A property that is located in an urban environment, close to important facilities, but with a garden that grants the occasional reprieve from city life, offers a balance that is sure to significantly boost its value.
5. It serves as an entertainment venue
A garden can host events such as braais and children’s parties, adding to the property’s utility and thus boosting its value further.
A few things to consider before you invest in landscaping:
- A swimming pool doesn’t necessarily increase the value of the property, as it adds a maintenance cost. However, a small water feature, like a fountain or pond, brings a soothing quality to the outdoor space without adding a significant maintenance cost.
- Lawns are well and good, but they need to be mowed, thus adding to the physical effort required to maintain a home. So bear that in mind if you plan to add a lawn; making it too big might have an adverse effect on the appeal of the property.
- A patio can be an especially powerful addition, as it merges the indoor space with the outdoor and creates the perfect setting for enjoying the environment. Adding a wooden deck will bring additional atmosphere and aesthetic appeal without significantly increasing maintenance requirements.
- Adding lots of plants should be a priority if you want to create an immersive outdoor space. They bring numerous benefits, including pleasant fragrance, and additional privacy, as they block vision.
If you’ve identified a property that you believe can be significantly improved by landscaping, and plan to purchase it as a future home or investment, bear in mind that ooba Home Loans can help you secure a home loan with favourable interest rates. We submit your home loan application to multiple banks, improving your chances of home loan approval, and allowing you to compare deals and choose the best one.
We also offer a range of tools that can make the home buying process easier. Start with our Bond Calculator, then use our Bond Indicator to determine what you can afford. Finally, when you’re ready, you can apply for a home loan.
Can't find what you are looking for?
Ranked #1 in Banking on Hellopeter
Average rating of 4.86 from over 4 550 reviews
Simply The Best
Ooba home loans services are simply the best. My Consultant Bianca Dancer was so hands on and helpful from the get go. She guided me through the entire process and put me at ease being a first time buyer. I highly recommend their services.
Jay Govender and Maleshini Reddy from OOBA provided outstanding assistance and guidance in securing our home loan. Response times were excellent and they were professional and friendly.
Estelle Vorster was really helpful in securing the best deal for my home loan, she not only negotiated a lower interest rate she went as far as securing 50% discount on the transfer costs.