- Semigration is a popular trend in South Africa with the work-from-home lifestyle allowing people to live in scenic, remote areas.
- The Karoo is one such area; a semi-desert region with majestic landscapes and glittering night skies.
- Properties, plots, and even farms are all going for affordable prices.
Imagine sleeping beneath the starry night sky and waking up to the sight of majestic and mystical landscapes. Living in beautiful remote locations such as The Karoo has become a reality for young homeowners and families as well as retirees, thanks to the work-from-home lifestyle.
Note Find out what you’ll pay on the home loan for properties in the Karoo and elsewhere with our Bond Calculator.
Semigration: The new trend in South Africa
Working from home became a fixture of the pandemic period and has remained a growing trend since then. This has seen many South Africans migrating to houses with more space in remote environments offering scenic views and a quiet life.
Coastal regions seem to be the most popular target of semigration, but in a country like South Africa, there’s no shortage of beautiful locations, and the semi-desert region known as the Karoo is one that comes to mind.
Affordable properties for sale in the Karoo
- Vacant plots are going for an average price of R300 000, significantly less than what you’d pay for a home in South Africa’s most populous provinces.
- Average prices for a home range from R500 000 for smaller homes to R1.6 million for three-bedroom homes.
- Large guest houses with multiple rooms can be had for R5 million to R6.5 million.
- Farm life is also a realistic option, with farm prices ranging from R2.7 million.
Popular locations for semigration
- Oudtshoorn is an iconic Karoo location, famous for its ostrich farms. Property prices range from R2 million to R3 million.
- Prince Albert is considered the gateway to the Great Karoo. It’s a historical town with restaurants, coffee shops, and wine farms; and a haven for artists. Property prices range from R2.5 million to R4.5 million.
- Graaff-Reinet is a town deep in the heart of the Karoo, with around 200 heritage buildings, and the Camdeboo National Park on its doorstep. House prices range from R1.2 million to R2.2 million, and farms are a realistic prospect with prices starting at R6.1 million.
- Ladismith is a farming community located on the famous Route 62. Attractions include wine farms and two cheese factories. Property prices range from R800,000 to R2.4 million, and farms can be had for R2.7 million to R24 million.
- Colesberg, a developing town with great locations for camping and fishing, and an 18-hole golf course to boot. Properties range from R750,000 to R1 million.
Find out what you can afford
Wherever you may wish to move, whether to scenic remote areas or urban hubs, it helps to know what you can afford. Getting prequalified will provide an assessment of your financial situation and a solid estimation of what price range you should be looking at.
Can't find what you are looking for?
Ranked #1 in Banking on Hellopeter
Average rating of 4.86 from over 4 550 reviews
Simply The Best
Ooba home loans services are simply the best. My Consultant Bianca Dancer was so hands on and helpful from the get go. She guided me through the entire process and put me at ease being a first time buyer. I highly recommend their services.
Jay Govender and Maleshini Reddy from OOBA provided outstanding assistance and guidance in securing our home loan. Response times were excellent and they were professional and friendly.
Estelle Vorster was really helpful in securing the best deal for my home loan, she not only negotiated a lower interest rate she went as far as securing 50% discount on the transfer costs.