- First impressions are important, so an effective home staging is key to a successful sale.
- Make sure the home is neat, free of bad odours, bright and welcoming, and free of any reminders that it was previously occupied.
- Be sure to seek the advice of an estate agent, as they will have an in-depth understanding of the market.
In a buyer’s market it can be tough to sell your house. However, don’t give up just yet. First impressions count for a lot, and as such, an effective home staging is key to securing a successful sale. These tips will help you achieve just that.
Make sure the home is neat
- Remove clutter
- Make sure closets are mostly empty
- Clean the floors
- Arrange furniture so nothing looks out of place
- Fix broken doors, drawers and closets (in other words, remove as many signs of aging as you can)
Remember the garden
Don’t skimp on the garden. You’ll want to mow lawns, trim the hedges and, if you have a swimming pool, remove leaves and make sure it’s sparkling (putting on a pool cover will make it look like it never gets used for some reason, so best avoid that).
Get rid of smells
This includes smells you may have become used to without realising it, such as the smell of pets or cigarette smoke. You may have to replace the carpets if they carry any bad odours or stains. Spray some air freshener around and find ways to create good smells, such as by cooking something delicious.
Lighten it up
Turn all the lights on and open curtains so the house looks bright and welcoming.
Remove photos and other signs of habitation
You don’t want people to be reminded that the house had previous occupants. Remove photos of family, toys, tools and anything else that reminds guests that the house was previously occupied.
Seek advice from an estate agent
Estate agents are in a good position to advise you on a home sale, since they’ll be knowledgeable of the market, and the particular area you’re looking to sell in. Their experience in home sales and showcasing houses will give them an idea of what appeals to buyers.
The above tips will help you sell your home, and if you’re looking to put those resources toward buying a new home, bear in mind that ooba home loans offer a range of tools that make the home-buying process easier. Start with their home loan calculators; then use their free, online prequalification tool, the ooba Bond Indicator, to determine what you can afford. Finally, when you’re ready, you can apply for a home loan.