- Hyde on First: Townhouses with gardens and off-the-grid power.
- The Mix: Hotel-style living in a miniature city with shops, restaurants and entertainment.
- HQ Sandton: Futuristic development with a rooftop garden and restaurant.
- One on Anne: Relaxed living in a garden suburb.
- The Point Pytchley: Modern living in the affluent suburb of Bryanston.
- City Centre at Steyn City: Hotel-style living on a forested resort with a lagoon.
- The Emerald Hyde Park: Elegant design and a world class lifestyle centre.
- Melrose Walk: Secure homes on a leafy estate.
- Houghton Edge: Luxury apartments on a golf course.
- Country Garden Estate: Community living in the countryside.
Whether you’re a young professional looking to enjoy city living, or a young family seeking the ideal neighbourhood to raise kids, developments in the City of Gold cater for a diverse range of lifestyle choices.
And now, with more people working from home as a result of the pandemic, developers are also providing for the stay-at-home lifestyle, emphasising comfortable and spacious living environments that include access to outdoor spaces.
Eskom load shedding is another factor that has influenced the design of new developments, with many looking to achieve a degree of energy independence.
The hottest new developments in Johannesburg: Our top 10 picks
So, with demand for new properties continuing to increase as the country emerges from multiple lockdowns, here are some of our picks for new developments in Johannesburg.
1. Hyde on First
Located in the heart of the high-end suburb of Hyde Park, this modern residential development offers the ideal balance between luxurious living, leisure activities and easy access to the business district.
- Size: From 420.2sqm
- Price: From R7 900 000
- Apartments: 16 two-storey units with underground parking; fibre, DSTV and air conditioning; home automation; gas-powered stove, fireplace and bbq; double glazing and insulated concrete for reduced heat and sound transfer
- Amenities: off-the-grid power and water systems; each unit has a fully serviced garden and heated swimming pool
- Neighbourhood: Nearby points of interest include Sandton City Mall, Rosebank Mall, Morningside Hospital, and the Gautrain Station.
2. The Mix
Launched in July 2021, The Mix is a 14-storey apartment building situated above the Mall of Africa, which itself is the centerpoint of Waterfall City; a sprawling urban development made up of residential, office and recreational spaces. The Mix offers hotel-style living with easy access to shops, restaurants and entertainment.
- Size: From 28sqm (studio apartment) to 86.15sqm (penthouse).
- Price: From R999 000 (studio apartments); R1 255 000 (one-bedroom apartments); R2 405 000 (two-bedroom apartments).
- Apartments: Customizable interior design packages; high-speed wi-fi; concierge; laundry services; cleaning services; delivery locker; basement parking and storage.
- Amenities:; pool deck with braai area, terrace, lounge and bar; restaurant; deli; wellness studio; meeting rooms; bike storage; social lounge; dog-walking area.
- Neighbourhood: Waterfall City is situated in Midrand, half-way between Johannesburg and Pretoria. It’s an urban enclave designed to offer everything that residents and workers could need in terms of entertainment, facilities and accommodation. It has a park, market, restaurants and an amphitheatre-style cinema, along with various recreational offerings such as the putt-putt and go-karting. For those whose workplace is outside Waterfall City, the Gautrain will have you at Sandton or Pretoria in no time.
3. HQ Sandton
This 12-storey development offers a glimpse of the future in the form of its rooftop garden, a merging of urban and nature space that gives new meaning to the term “going green”. Aside from that; luxurious apartments, facilities and hotel-style services make this a major attraction for those looking to immerse themselves in the energy of Sandton.
- Size: From 23.64sqm to 61.72sqm
- Price: From R890 000
- Apartments: Studio, one-bedroom and two-bedroom apartments with free wi-fi, and access to 24-hour concierge and meal solutions.
- Amenities: Gym, rooftop restaurant and bar, rooftop garden, swimming pool, outdoor games area, board room, work lounges and pods, laundry services, 24 hour security and biometric access.
- Neighbourhood: Adjacent to Mushroom Farm Park; a relaxing nature escape with a duck pond, lawns, a playground and outdoor gym. Aside from that, as the name suggests, the apartments are situated in one of Johannesburg’s most desirable districts. Sandton is an affluent area with numerous shopping centres, restaurants and office spaces.
4. One on Anne
Elegant units divided between two three-storey apartment blocks, located in the lush, green suburb of Sandringham. The idyllic location makes it a good option for young families as well as professionals.
- Size: From 32sqm (one-bedroom apartment) to 86sqm (three-bedroom apartment).
- Price: From R599 000 to R1 699 000.
- Apartments: Open-plan and spacious design; most units include a garden and/or balcony; fibre-ready; environmentally conscious with access to solar and gas energy; 24-hour off-site security, electric fencing and a secure perimeter.
- Amenities: Plunge pool; braai area; rooftop terrace and sun deck.
- Neighbourhood: There’s a host of nearby restaurants and stores, and the apartment blocks also offer close proximity to a number of schools and hospitals. Notable entertainment venues include Jabula Recreation Centre, The Royal Kensington Golf Club, Dan Pienaar Park, and Fairmount Bowls Club.
5. The Point Pytchley: Modern living
A five-level residential block in the affluent suburb of Bryanston; a leafy district that is also conveniently situated on the edge of the financial hub.
- Size: From 46sqm to 112sqm.
- Price: From R1 187 975 to R2 864 875.
- Apartments: One-bedroom, two-bedroom and three-bedroom apartments with open-plan design and premium finishes; wi-fi ready; laundry facilities; 24 hour security with biometric access control; secure basement parking.
- Amenities: Swimming pool; fully equipped gym; clubhouse; meeting rooms; entertainment and lifestyle areas.
- Neighbourhood: Close proximity to restaurants, shopping centres and recreational venues such as Monte Casino. Nearby schools include Brescia House School and Bryanston Primary School; and nearby hospitals include Sunninghill Hospital and Mediclinic Sandton. Easy access to public transport.
6. City Centre at Steyn City
These luxury apartments are situated beside a lagoon, amid the lush lawns, forests and streams of Steyn City; a private paradise in the north of Johannesburg. Residents may as well be living in their own world, but still have easy access to the city if needed.
- Price: From R2 300 000
- Apartments: The spacious apartments range from one-bedroom to four-bedroom, and there are two penthouses. Each unit includes a well-equipped kitchen, air conditioning, high-speed internet and double-glazed windows; and they are built with smart technology in mind.
- Amenities: Rooftop pool; resident parking in the basement; 24-hour security; backup generator; water reservoir.
- Neighbourhood: The private paradise of Steyn City has a 300m lagoon (with splash pool for kids); mountain-biking trails; a golf course; equestrian centre; and even a school campus that accommodates students right up to matric. There’s also a helipad for quick access to the Sandton CBD or airport.
7. The Emerald Hyde Park
Luxury apartments and an immaculate lifestyle centre situated in the affluent suburb of Hyde Park. The Emerald offers secure, environmentally conscious accommodation with a mesmerising design aesthetic.
- Size: A mix of one-bedroom, two-bedroom and three-bedroom apartments, ranging from 69 sqm to 147 sqm.
- Price: From R1 985 000 to R4 250 000.
- Amenities: A world class lifestyle centre with indoor and outdoor heated pools, gym, steam room, ice recovery bath, yoga studio, communal lounges with wi-fi, meeting rooms, a coffee shop and laundromat.
- Neighbourhood: The lush Hyde Park suburb, with a park, golf club, Gautrain bus stop; and close proximity and the vibrant suburbs of Sandton and Rosebank.
8. Melrose Walk
Six luxury homes situated on a secure estate, right next to the affluent suburb of Melrose Arch. The leafy estate offers each home a private garden and surrounding trees to provide shade. Ideal for family living.
- Size: Six modern ultra-luxury duplex homes, ranging from 330.18 sqm to 371.02 sqm.
- Price: From R7 999 999 to R8 699 900.
- Amenities: Four bedrooms, four bathrooms, two garages, fully kitted open-plan kitchen, private garden, Breezair evaporative cooling system and Morso fireplace.
- Neighbourhood: Melrose Arch is a vibrant suburb with restaurants, cafés, shopping centres and high-end fashion stores.
9. Houghton Edge
Situated in the heart of Norwood, with access to Houghton’s Golf Course, this complex offers a choice of elegantly designed luxury apartments that are eco-friendly to boot. The complex has its own borehole, with water filtered to every unit, along with piped gas to stoves, geysers and heating points. It’s like off-the-grid living, albeit in luxurious and tastefully decorated surroundings, offering a lock-up-and-go lifestyle in close proximity to restaurants, coffee shops, Norwood Mall, and of course, the golf club.
- Size: From 55sqm
- Price: From R1 239 000 (no transfer duty).
- Apartments: Two-bedroom luxury apartments with two covered parking spaces per unit, a kitchen, dining area, balcony, lounge and built-in cupboards. Each unit has filtered borehole water and piped gas, and prepaid services for water, gas and electricity. The complex is secured with a guard house and biometric access.
- Amenities: Rooftop pool and viewing deck.
- Neighbourhood: Situated in Norwood, in close proximity to Norwood mall, 50m from Houghton Golf Course, 10m from culinary hotspot Grant Avenue, and close to Rosebank and Melrose.
10. Country Garden Estate
A forward-thinking estate design that effectively creates its own village in the countryside, with compact, energy-efficient timber homes. The estate is planned as a secure compound, providing a safe and idyllic environment for children to grow up. Stores and services will be included on the estate to lessen the need for long-distance travel, along with a central park for recreational and community-building activities.
- Size: Medium houses (80sqm); large houses (115sqm) and extra-large (155sqm).
- Price: From R955 000.
- Houses: Each house will have a double volume living room with a glass front reaching to the top, and will come equipped with a bathroom and fully kitted kitchen. The buyer can customise the interior, width and length of the home by choosing from a list of possible additions to the standard design, such as a pool, deck extension and air conditioning. Homes will be environmentally-friendly, with optional solar panels that can provide power for a whole day.
The estate will have three sections, each containing 50 to 100 houses, and roads named after plants, trees and flowers.
- Amenities: There will be a commercial area with shops and small businesses, and the central green park where everybody can enjoy recreation and sports.
- Neighbourhood: The estate is situated close to Krugersdorp, Roodepoort, Midrand, Johannesburg, Pretoria, and the Sandton CBD. Though a short drive from the city and airport, it will include many facilities and services on-site so as to remove the need for constant travel.
- Development on the first of three phases began in early 2020.
Looking to invest?
If you’re keen on investing in one of these new developments in Johannesburg, ooba Home Loans can help ensure you get the best deal on your bond. We submit your application to multiple banks, so you can compare packages and choose the one with the lowest interest rates.
We also offer a range of tools that make the property buying process easier. Start with our Bond Calculator, then use our Bond Indicator to determine what you can afford. Finally, when you’re ready, you can apply for a home loan.
Can't find what you are looking for?
Ranked #1 in Financial Services on Hellopeter
Average rating of 4.82 from over 3 000 reviews
Simply The Best
Ooba home loans services are simply the best. My Consultant Bianca Dancer was so hands on and helpful from the get go. She guided me through the entire process and put me at ease being a first time buyer. I highly recommend their services.
Jay Govender and Maleshini Reddy from OOBA provided outstanding assistance and guidance in securing our home loan. Response times were excellent and they were professional and friendly.
Estelle Vorster was really helpful in securing the best deal for my home loan, she not only negotiated a lower interest rate she went as far as securing 50% discount on the transfer costs.