- Short-term rentals will always be a strong investment in a country with high tourism rates.
- Short-term rentals require more maintenance but provide higher income.
- Short-term rentals are more flexible as renters come and go frequently.
Property investors have a number of variables to take into account when looking at properties to purchase. You need to have a strategy, and one important element of that is whether you intend to rent out the property long-term or short-term.
Each has completely different requirements. Here’s an overview.
Short-term rentals: Always a good investment in South Africa
South Africa (and especially Cape Town) is a tourist hotspot, so short-term rentals are always a viable option.
This is especially the case in the post-pandemic period as pent-up demand from international investors is being unleashed.
There are some important factors investors need to take into account that make short-term rentals distinct from long-term rentals.
- Location: With long-term rentals, you can look at more affordable areas, but with short-term rentals, there’s no point if they’re not in tourist-friendly locations. This means they might be a bit pricier.
- Marketing: Long-term rentals are usually marketed through estate agencies, but with short-term rentals, it makes more sense to market them through Airbnb or bookings.com.
- Rental costs: With long-term rentals, it makes sense to invest in affordable accommodation, for example, aimed at students. Not the case with short-term rentals, where you’ll need to charge higher rates to make good on your investment. So you’ll be targeting a narrow market, mainly international property seekers.
The advantages of short-term rentals
- Flexibility: Renters come and go frequently, providing you with plenty of windows of opportunity to perform maintenance or renovations, or even occupy the property yourself.
- Higher income: You can charge higher prices as you’ll be targeting tourists willing to spend more money since it will be a short-term. You can also boost your income by charging higher rates during peak tourist season.
- More reliable tenants: You won’t have to worry about unruly tenants who fail to maintain the property and keep missing rent.
Disadvantages of short-term rentals:
- More maintenance: You have to ensure the property is in perfect condition for each new tenant.
- Furnishing the property: You have to kit it out with creature comforts such as DSTV, internet, furniture, and kitchen appliances.
- Occupancy: You may go for long periods without occupancy, especially when tourism slows down.
In summation: Short-term rental is a strong investment
As with any form of property investment, it depends on your strategy, but short-term rentals will always be a strong option in a country with high tourism rates.
Can't find what you are looking for?
Ranked #1 in Banking on Hellopeter
Average rating of 4.86 from over 4 550 reviews
Simply The Best
Ooba home loans services are simply the best. My Consultant Bianca Dancer was so hands on and helpful from the get go. She guided me through the entire process and put me at ease being a first time buyer. I highly recommend their services.
Jay Govender and Maleshini Reddy from OOBA provided outstanding assistance and guidance in securing our home loan. Response times were excellent and they were professional and friendly.
Estelle Vorster was really helpful in securing the best deal for my home loan, she not only negotiated a lower interest rate she went as far as securing 50% discount on the transfer costs.