Skip to content

What are the documents required to sell a house in South Africa?

The process of selling a house requires the following paperwork:

  • Proof of your identity.
  • Title deed for the property.
  • Shared Freehold documents for the property (only if your property retains a share of the freehold) or leasehold documents (if it’s a leased property).
  • Management Information Pack (required if you pay service charges or if the property is a leasehold).
  • Fittings and Contents Form (details what is included in the sale of your home, such as furniture and fittings).
  • Property information form, a comprehensive form that provides detailed information on the property that the buyer may need to know, such as insurance information, disputes with neighbours, environmental risks etc.
  • Details of your current bond, including what you still owe.
  • Document stating your acceptance of the Offer to Purchase.

Then there’s the compliance certificates, which require you to perform a property inspection. The six required certificates are:

  • Electrical Certificate of Compliance to ensure all electrical work conforms to regulatory standards.
  • A separate Electrical Certificate of Compliance if you have an electric fence.
  • Water Compliance Certificate to ensure all is in order with the property’s water system.
  • Plumbing Compliance Certificate (not the same as water installation).
  • Gas Certificate of Conformity (ensures gas facilities are in working order).
  • Beetle Free Certificate (ensures there are no beetles eating into the wood).

All the paperwork giving you a headache? We recommend hiring an estate agent to streamline the process for you.